Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Chinese New Year

My family started to prepare for Chinese new year at about a week or two before the actual celebration. We started out by cleaning up the house and getting rid of those unwanted stuff. It is a tradition that we do that as my parents say that it gets rid of the bad luck and invites fortune to our house.

Next, we went for a shopping spree for new clothing and furniture. It is said that you will come to have a fresh new life after Chinese new year. On the eve of Chinese new year, all my paternal aunts and uncles went to my paternal grandparents house to have a gathering dinner,which is also known as reunion dinner.

On the first day of Chinese new year, my brother and I first wish our parents happy Chinese new year and then get our red packet. Then we dressed up in new clothing's and went to visit our grandparents' house. We presented two oranges with both hands and they gave us red packets. In the night, all the relatives would go to their friends' or other relatives' houses to catch up with one another.

It was a little different on the second day. My family went to my grandparents' house again. There, we met more relatives, therefore me and my brother received more red packets. However, many of us did not stay for dinner, including my family, as we had a big lunch.

Most people do not go and visit others on the third day of Chinese new year. It is considered as bad luck. Chinese new year last for about fifteen days and you are not allowed to open your red packet until the last day.

What I am most happy about is I get to see the relatives that I don't meet for a year. We chat about school life, and the other cousins talked about army life.

Name: Choon Wang
Class: 2e4
Reg. No.: 31

No comments: