Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I do not actually "celebrate" Chinese New year, in fact, i spent most of my time during Chinese New Year at home. During Chinese New Year, people typically wear new clothes from head to toe to symbolize a new beginning in the new year. However, i had never once bought any new clothes during Chinese New Year.

In the days before Chinese New Year, it is believed the cleaning sweeps away the bad luck of the preceding year and makes their homes ready for good luck. However, my family does not practice this custom, though we may have done this once or twice, for all i can remember.

As stated in the first paragraph, i spent most of the Chinese New Year at home. However, i do have to go and visit some of my relatives during the first day of Chinese New Year, as it is a time when families visit the oldest and most senior members of their extended family, usually their parents, grandparents or great-grandparents. I also went for some reunion dinner on one of the days of Chinese New Year, though i can't remember which -_-.

Besides visiting my relatives and such, there's nothing else my family and i actually do during Chinese New Year, or rather, nothing else I actually do. I am not very enthusiastic about the events that occur in Chinese New Year. In fact, if given a choice, i would not have went for those reunion dinners and things like that. I feel that the time i spent at home, even if i am not doing something productive, is better spent than the time i spent during reunion dinners and visitation of relatives. The time visiting my relatives totally bored me. Chinese New Year also does not affect my relationship with my family and relatives in ANY way. To sum it up, i do not enjoy Chinese New Year at all.

Julian Cheong (19) 2E4

No comments: